Thursday, March 26, 2009

The most important meal of the day!

My kids are pretty picky eaters, Vanessa less so than Natalie. They have a menu of items that they will ALWAYS eat, a selection of items that they can be coaxed into eating occasionally, and then a long, long list of stuff they will not touch under any circumstances. This is an example of a conversation that Natalie and I have daily:


I'm not going to eat that.

Just try it.

No.

Why not?

It's gross.

How do you even know if you won't try it?

Because it's gross.

HOW DO YOU KNOW?

Can I have some crackers?


It is maddening that they won't at least try stuff. I know that so much of it is just a power-play. They don't have much control over their lives and one thing they can control is what they will eat. I can't force them to eat and they know that.

The one meal we have no problem with is breakfast. They LOVE breakfast foods, at any time of the day. We often have breakfast for lunch or dinner (sometimes both in the same day). They have always loved pancakes, which is a good thing since for a long time that was the only thing I was actually good at making. I pride myself on my perfect pancakes. I make them very thin so that the edges get lacy and crisp. I eat them topped with butter and sugar because that is what my Grandma taught me when I was a little girl eating my Grandpa's famous pancakes (his were very thin also). The girls prefer syrup usually, but mix it up with the sugar method every once in a while.

We eat a lot of waffles (I can't remember right now who gave us our waffle iron for our wedding, but if it was you, THANKS!!). I make a mean cinnamon sugar french toast that is another favorite. We also enjoy scrambled eggs topped with cheddar cheese and dipped in ketchup. You add a side of fruit, whole grain toast, and a big, cold glass of milk and it is a meal. The list of yummy breakfast foods that we enjoy here goes on. It is fun to make the girls breakfast because they will actually eat it. I can't tell you how many times I've made a big dinner only to set it in front of the kids and have it shunned. I am not a person who likes to cook just for the sake of cooking so when the food I make goes uneaten it drives me crazy. So I make a lot of breakfast. Actually, it's lunch time and I am without a plan. Scrambled eggs here we come!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love breakfast foods too! Your girls are in good company. ;)

Anonymous said...

You are diffently a Wiechman. We had alot of breakfast meals growing up. Your grandma was a good cook but we loved our breakfast. Now I'm hungry for pancakes and I have bisqicks in the oven or I could have a Clay Center Nut Roll. yum yum love ya m