Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The nerve of some people....seriously

I had a bad day. Natalie gave me grief all day and Vanessa is getting another tooth so she is really whiny. So it was a bad day. And then..................

I had to stop at Dillons on the way home from dinner to get formula. I really, really didn't want to go but I didn't want to worry about running out tonight so I stopped. Now I wish I hadn't. I was standing in the checkout line behind a guy that obviously knew all the people that worked there. He has talking to them and making them run back and get things he forgot. As he was waiting on the sacker girl to get back with his cholesterol free egg noodles he started reading the formula can that was on the conveyor belt. "So, no breast for that baby, huh?" WHAT??? I was so offended that he would talk about my baby or my breast. I just kind of sneered at him and turned back to Natalie. A second later he says to me, and I am not kidding here, "Poor kid, being tortured with that powdered shit." I was so mad. No scratch that. I was livid. Nope, scratch that too. I was effing pissed. I was so mad I could not physically unclentch my jaw. My hands were shaking. I have all kinds of good comebacks for that man now, but at the time I couldn't even form words.
What would possess that man to think he had any right at all to talk to me about the way I take care of my children. Does he know that I tried my hardest to breast feed my kids and that I just simply ran out at about 4 1/2 months? Does he know that even if I wouldn't have tried at all he had NO RIGHT to criticize my mothering ability? Has he ever breast fed a child? Has he ever gone through the agony and guilt of not being able to do exactly what you want for your own kids?
I am a mom. I'm not perfect by any means but I do what's necessary to take care of my babies. I love them, I keep them clean, I keep them healthy, and I keep them fed. The ONLY people on the face of the planet that have ANY say in how I do any of those things are Larry, the pediatrician, and myself. I ask advice from those that I trust, my mom, Larry's mom, my friends. I certainly don't ask wierd, mean men in the check out line at Dillons.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since I talked to you immediately after this little episode, I can certainly verify that you were a little upset. There will always be men who think they should be able to tell women what to do and how best to run their lives. I wish you would have been able to give him all the retorts that you thought of last night. In fact, I think you should hang out at that store until you see him again, and give him what for. haha. I just love the way Nat stood up for you and wanted to smash him flat with a bowling ball next time you see him. That's my girl!! Love you, Mom.

Sarah said...

I can not beleive that!!! I am speechless. I probably would have handled it the same way, and be pissed but not able to say anything at the time. You should have thrown the can of formula at his head.

Bastard!!! Ugggggggg

Andie said...

What nerve!! What an idiot!! I tried to nurse Andrew for 6 weeks until he had lost over a pound from his birthweight...he just couldn't nurse! I felt guilty for so long whenever I gave him a bottle of formula, but he thrived on formula. He gained back ALL of the weight he lost in just one week. Yes, breast is best, but sometimes it just doesn't work for some reason or another...even if that reason is that the mom just doesn't want to, and that's ok, too! Oh my goodness, I can't believe some stranger would have the guts to say something like that!! What an idiot!!!!!
I'm sorry you had to endure something like that. I probably would have just started bawling in his face...maybe he would reconsider saying something so rude!

Hope today is better!

Andie

Anonymous said...

Wow what an ass. Don't mean to sound racist but..was the guy black? Just sounds like something a black guy would say. I wouldn't been able to hold my tongue, if that happen to me. Hehe...I like Natalie's solution to that. But, i think a bowling ball might be a little heavy to carry around with you....
Brie

Loni said...

Thanks for sticking up for me everyone! I have cooled down a little, but I am still awestruck that anyone would have the audacity to say something like that to me.
And he was an older white guy with the weirdest scraggly beard I have ever seen. When I first saw him I had an incredible urge to go buy him a razor.
Loni

Sarah said...

Sounds like plain white trash to me.

Unknown said...

Nice to know it wasn't a black guy!! There are good black guys around!! I had a situation where a college kid commented on my tampon purchase. "Guess, its a heavy flow month," wasn't the greatest phrase to say to a woman with severe PMS.