Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A house divided

When people find out I am a die-hard Kansas fan and Larry is a die-hard North Carolina fan we get one of two reactions. The first is to laugh and say something like, "Well....that must be fun." The second is to ask how we make it through the season without divorcing. And let me tell you, there have been years where it has been harder then others.
Remember when KU had to go through UNC to get to the National Championship? Yeah, we couldn't even watch that game in the same room. We made an agreement beforehand to not even talk about it afterwards. I knew that it would just be too hard for the winning spouse (ME) not to go too far in the certain face rubbing that would ensue. Not that we are competitive or anything. (For the sake of full disclosure, I couldn't stop myself from exclaiming just a bit of triumph.)
Both of our teams have had years where one has had more success than the other. Since we have been together we have both won at least one Championship. Maybe it makes it a little easier that we both have dependably great teams. Until this year.
UNC is having a bad year. A really bad year. At this point they are going to have to perform miracles for an NCAA tournament bid. They are loosing in a conference that is having a down year anyway. KU is ranked number one. Just sayin'. I have tried to keep my gloating to a minimum. Have I asked him if he wants to steal Bill Self like he stole Roy Williams? Yes. Do I ask him if his team is loosing tonight instead of asking him if they are simply playing? Yes. Do I take any and all opportunities to point out just how bad UNC is playing? Yes. But I do it in a classy way. Most of the time. I'm sure he thinks so too.
This will not be the year that basketball ruins our marriage. That will never happen. We may have team loyalties that are at odds with each other, but when it comes down to it we are strong enough to overcome that rivalry. We may be angry with each other for a while, but ultimately, we can be happy for the other. But you might want to ask me again when KU is having a down year and UNC is number one. I might have a different take on it at that point.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the 'curse of Roy' has finally invaded NC. Too bad. And, yes, I do still hold a grudge against him for leaving.
And, I know how you can be about your Hawks, so I kinda feel sorry for Larry. But then, he should have changed his allegience after living in Lawrence for that year. Just don't be too mean to him, Honey. You know how things can change.....:) Love, Mom