Monday, February 8, 2010

We were ready for some football....kind of....

What is there not to love about the Super Bowl? From the heart-warming stories they put together for the all day pre-game shows to the mountains of confetti falling on the winning players after the clock reads 0:00. I love it all.
We had a great time with all the festivities yesterday. Larry grilled steaks for us and cheeseburgers for the girls. I made a crock pot full of little smokies. Natalie was the only health conscious one of us all, making a vegetable medley of baby carrots, celery, tomatoes, and peas. We ate as a family while listening to the TV in the other room play the national anthem.
After dinner we sat down to watch the game. Natalie and Vanessa got into the spirit of things. Too bad they were rooting for a team that wasn't there. They both ran around the living room in circles chanting "Let's Go Jayhawks!" After I finally convinced them that the teams were Indy and New Orleans Natalie asked me if it was my New Orleans. I've talked to her a lot about how much I love that city and she has seen our honeymoon pictures over and over. I told her yes, it was my city and I wanted them to win. She agreed. Then she asked me if New Orleans was a new city. When I told her it was actually a very old city she decided the name was silly and for the rest of the night I had to cheer for Old Orleans.
I should have known their interest in the game wouldn't last long. After the coin toss, which NOLA won, she thought it was all over. "They WON Mom!!" Then as they started lining up on the field she asked what they were doing. I told her they were going to kick off. She wanted to know where they kicked it to. I told her they kicked it to the other team so they could try to score. Her eyes got wide, "Does he know he is going to kick it to the other team?" She then turned to the TV and shouted at the kicker, "Don't Do It Guy!!!!" She didn't understand why I couldn't stop laughing.
That was about the extent of their Super Bowl watching experience for this year. After I put them to bed I finally got to sit and enjoy the rest of the game. It was a fun game to watch! I was so excited to see New Orleans pull off the win. If any city deserves a big victory like that it is New Orleans. I hope everyone else enjoyed the Super Bowl as much as we did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had fun watching it, too. However, I'm sure we would have had even more fun watching it with the girls. They are hilarious and sweet! I already can't wait to see them again. Love ya, Mom.

Sarah said...

It was a really good game!!! Your house sounds similar to ours :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like your girls need to watch a little more football:) Janet

Jaime said...

I wanted to click "Like" but I guess this isn't Facebook. :)