Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it." - Mae West

The temptation was just becoming too much for the girl. She had stared at, felt, shook, poked, and even smelled the presents as much as she could before she exploded in a fit of impatience.

"MOM!!! I CAN'T WAIT ALL THAT LONG TIME TO OPEN THESE!!!"

I explained we had less than two weeks.
I explained that waiting made opening them even more exciting.
I explained that opening any now would mean less on Christmas morning.
I explained that this was preparing her for a lifetime of having to wait for what you want.

None of that mattered to the small girl trying to carefully untape presents without me knowing.

"MOM!!! I DON'T WANT TO WAIT!!! PLEASE!!! PLEEEEEEASE!!!! I WILL BE SOOO GOOD!!!!"

And being the strong willed, no-means-no kind of mother I am...I compromised and let her open a stocking present.

2 comments:

Andie said...

Oh I know how you feel!! With Warren working the vacancy, this is the best Christmas (gift-wise) that we've been able to give our kids. I know it's not all about the gift, but I am so excited aobut some of them that I just want them to open them NOW!!! Abbie in particular fell in love with a pair of cross shapped earrings at Alco here in town. She would go and drool over them every time we were there. Well, one day when she was back looking at something with daddy, I purchased them (a whole wopping $8!) now she goes to the case every time we go and almsot cries because she loved those earrings and now they aren't there. ;-) I just want to give them to her so she won't be sad, but I also can't wait to see her face on Christmas morning (or eve...we do both) when she opens them!!
Christmas blessings to you and your family...
Andie
PS...I'm glad Wichita missed the brunt of the storm...it looked bad in the forcast, thank goodness they were wrong for once!

Sarah said...

Ha Ha. I am bad about waiting. Considering I am already wearing my gift from Jeremy. New boots. :)