Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Just something I was sitting here thinking about

I was talking to a friend the other day who was planning on getting a new wedding ring. The one she has is on the small side and since she was married ten years ago her tastes have changed. She was excited to be picking one out that had some size and some sparkle to it.
I understand having a small ring. When Larry and I got engaged we weren't exactly rolling in the dough. In fact, we were lucky to be eating dough. So my ring is not super big. It is not super extravagant. It is a single diamond solitaire engagement ring attached to a thin diamond and gold wedding band. And I love it more then any piece of jewelry I have ever seen.
I just don't understand getting a new wedding ring. I makes no sense to me. I am all for getting new jewelery, even new diamond rings. Since we have been married Larry has given me two other diamond rings and I love them both. But they are not my wedding ring. My wedding ring is what it is because Larry gave it to me when we stood up in front of all our friends and family and promised each other forever. My wedding ring is what it is because I wore it every single day until I got pregnant and my hand swelled so much that it got too tight. My wedding ring is what it is because when Natalie admires it she says with such love that Daddy gave that to Mommy at our wedding a long, long, long time ago.
I am not saying a new ring couldn't be special or that it wouldn't grow to become a part of me like the one I have now has. I am not saying it is wrong for people to want a big new diamond ring when they come to the point in their lives they can afford what they couldn't before. I am just saying it's not for me. If I do, at some point, get the ring of my dreams you won't hear me complaining. But it will have to settle on a less important digit because my left ring finger is taken.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ya mine is a smaller one too...but we have a matching set...that's what I like about it...I'll take a vow renewal on our 10 year anniversary over new bling...lol (my parents never made it to 10 years so that's a big thing for me)...lol but of course I'd find any excuse to go to Vegas. I love it!
Brie

Anonymous said...

Loni is your friend on the "big" side because that is why I wear a different ring then the one I got on our wedding day. My husband wears a different one because we made a poor choice the 1st time and it cut into is finger giving him a big callous. The ones we wear now we bought in Winfield were not expensive and are matching silver bands with scroll work. We kissed and said I love you when we placed them on our fingers. I couldn't love it more.
Michelle

Loni said...

No, she's not big. Just wants a new ring! I LOVE your ring that you have Michelle. It is beautiful and meaningful!

Not trying to insult anyone!!! Just me rambling when the kids were asleep!

Anonymous said...

you know, i think most people i've talked to about "upgrading" the ring would agree with you. it's so sweet. then there's the women in my family. we like to change it up. my mom has had a few in her 30 years married. ryan & i were just at the jewelers and i was showing him the next ring i wanted. it was priced higher than what we were thinking for our next vehicle. lol. he was not amused. i wasn't kidding though...