Monday, May 11, 2009

I love this child

Driving on the way to Natalie's dairy farm field trip last Friday we passed an animal lying in the street that had been hit by a car. Natalie asked what it was. Not wanting to get into it I just said I wasn't sure. As she gazed out the window she shrugged and said very casually, "must have been a dead lemur."
.............................
Every year we go to the opening day River Festival sun down parade and this year was no different. At one point in the parade there was a group of Harley riding men in wigs (yeah.). One of the burly men wearing a long blond wig held up his fingers and gave Natalie the peace sign. Natalie smiled and did it back to him. She then turned to me and was all excited, "We just said 'two' to each other!!"
..............................
An essential part of Natalie's, Vanessa's and my bedtime routine is snuggling up together on my bed and reading three or four books. They take turns picking the books and sometimes I veto them altogether and we read what I choose. The other night it was Vanessa's turn to pick and we read a Valentine's Day Dora book. They both enjoyed it and participated throughout. At the very end Dora and Boots are having a picnic. Dora is sitting on her knees and Natalie pointed to her with certainty. "She is going to have bad knees when she gets older." Apparently her teacher tells her that at school. I love that she is already concerned about the health of not only hers, but also Dora's, knees.

2 comments:

Lacey Kohl Photography said...

that is so cute!! kids say the best thing! good and bad! :)
i look forward to seeing you guys in a few weeks. did you find out if you were coming on saturday?

Anonymous said...

Natalie has had me laughing since she was born. She doesn't always mean to make us laugh, but boy howdy, she has a knack. And, I think Vanessa is right behind her. As soon as we can understand what she's saying, I've got a pretty good idea that we'll be laughing a lot at her, too. Her sign language is hilarious enough as it is. Can't wait to hear what Allison has to say. My my, what brilliant granddaughters I have. Love from their smitten Nana.