Friday, August 31, 2007

Family

My uncle is having some pretty serious health problems. He has been in and out of the hospital for months. He is now in SICU after a surgery (successful) and unable to move his legs or even wiggle his toes. I have full faith that he will do both of these things again, I just hope it is sooner rather than later.

There is something pretty special about my mom's side of the family. Along with my grandma and grandpa there are five siblings, their spouses, 12 grandkids, 8 grandkid spouses, and 17 great-grandkids(it took me a while to count all of us!). We have all stayed pretty close to home, with just a few leaving the area for jobs. We are a tight-knit group. Everyone is involved and gets together several times a year. We have traditions that have lasted generations. At Christmas time we all get together, eat, open presents, and sing Christmas carols. Yes, we actually sing them...all together....as a group. We all sing from song sheets my aunt typed years ago. There are several typos that we all sing and then laugh. The song "12 Days of Christmas" will always have 2 turtly doves in my mind.
But the really special thing about my family is that we are all there for each other. We email daily with updates on medical issues, traveling plans, news on my grandparents (who we all go visit in their nursing home as often as we can), and anything else that pops into our minds. We care about what is going on in each others lives. We visit when someone has a baby (which happens quite often!). We reassure when someones kid has to go in for medical tests. We celebrate when those tests come back negative, or comfort when the news is not so great.

I am worried about my uncle and his family. But I know they will get through this rough time. They have a family that is there and that cares and I KNOW that they know that. Like I said, there is something special about my family. We are never truly alone. There is always someone there. How reassuring is that? I know it makes me feel safer and not as scared. I just hope they all feel the same (somehow I have a feeling that they do).

I typed this last night and went to bed before I posted it. I was dreaming this morning before Vanessa woke me up at 7am (thanks sweetie). I don't really remember what was going on in my dream, just that I was talking to someone. In the middle of my dream conversation in walked my uncle. WALKED!! He was wearing a hospital gown, but other than that he looked good. I kept telling him it was too soon to just be walking all over the place, but he just laughed at me and told me he felt fine. I take this as a good sign. I love you Terry and Barb, Aaron and Andie and your families. Be strong, but when you can't we will all be strong for you. Hugs, kisses, and pain free nights and days to all of you.

1 comments:

Andie said...

Oh, Loni...I'm sitting here crying...I LOVE YOUR DREAM!! Please, God, let this dream come true!!!!!
On Sunday, mom & I were massaging his legs and feet, and they kept twitching. He said he wasn't doing it, but the doctors said that it's good, it means that the nerves and muscles are still working. They keep waiting for the swelling in his back to go down. They continue to be hopeful that when the swelling goes down, he will regain control. I teased him that I believed he wasn't controlling it until he kicked me, TWICE, then I "knew" he had control and was doing it on purpose!! :-)

THanks for your post, it is good to remember that we are NOT alone, I know we aren't but sometimes you feel like it. But, then, how can you feel alone with this huge wonderful family???
Andie