Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Gasp.


I'm just trying to catch my breath here. This is the first time I have been able to sit down at the computer and attempt to type out a post...but I already hear baby squeaks and gurgles, so we will see how much I can get done.

If anyone ever tells you that having an almost five-year-old, a nineteen-month-old, and a newborn is easy I give you full permission to slap them upside their heads. Hard. It is certainly NOT easy. I haven't had more than an hour and a half of continuous sleep since Friday. I am always feeding someone, or changing someones diaper, or comforting someone while they cry. It is a never ending assembly line of kid related issues. I'm not complaining....ok, maybe I am a little!

Now, that being said, it has also been a lot of fun. The older girls love their new sister and CONSTANTLY want to be all over her. I have to beat them away with a stick (not literally, of course). I have had to tell Natalie many more times than once that she is NOT the mommy and I am perfectly capable of taking care of Allison. That is kind of driving me nuts, but it is better than the alternative I guess. Vanessa has taken to the baby also. When Allie cries Vanessa comes over and pats her so gently on the head with so much love that my heart swells and just about bursts out of my chest. I just love my three little girls SO much, no matter how crazy they make me.
My milk is s-l-o-w-l-y getting established. Nursing hasn't been easy this time, but I'm sticking with it and it is getting better. She is finally getting enough at a time to fill up her tummy for a while. We were nursing every thirty minutes for a while and she and I were getting very frustrated at the low amount that was coming out. With the other two girls once my milk came in it was abundant. This time it is just moving a little more slowly. She is a good eater and is not shy about letting me know how hungry she is. At the doctor yesterday (remind me to tell you that story soon) she was up from 7 pounds even to 7 pounds, 1 ounce. So she is gaining a little which is better than losing!

I will get into all the other dirty details some other time. For now Natalie is at school, Vanessa is playing with a baby doll in Allison's swing, and Allison is (GASP) laying in her bassinet sleeping. I think I might just have a minute or two to eat something without standing at the counter shoveling it in as fast as I can. Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and good wishes. And to my husband and my mom....I wouldn't still be functioning without you. I have no idea how people do this without the support system I have. I am a very, very, very lucky girl. And yes I'm crying right now..how did you guess?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, I've got some gorgeous granddaughters, don't I? I feel so blessed and lucky. I just love, love, love them. You did a great job, and you're a wonderful Mother. Love ya - Mom

Cheryl Lage said...

What beautiful, beautiful pictures.
Particularly like the one of you with all your girls. :)

Congrats!

Wishing you some sleep soon!

Cheryl Lage said...

What beautiful, beautiful pictures.
Particularly like the one of you with all your girls. :)

Congrats!

Wishing you some sleep soon!

Anonymous said...

Awww my nieces are soo cute together. I can't wait to see Allison =). I know how getting very little sleep is...since Hailey has a thing with only wanting to sleep with me on the couch....she won't sleep there herself...I have to be there too. Oh...Hailey has learn to say "baby"...it's too cute. She also will not keep her diaper on...Putting pants over her diaper worked for a while but now she takes the pants off...I've tried duct tape and putting her diaper on backwards...she still gets it off...so...hopefully she starts showing more signs of being ready to potty train...lol...Well, hope you have a fun day and get to catch a nap sometime...
Brie

Sarah said...

They are all so beautiful! Hang in there mama. You will work out an awesome routine I am sure.

Unknown said...

Yes, you are a lucky girl...and your daughters are also very blessed, to have a momma like you! They are all 3 beautiful!
I know this early stage is HARD!! Abbie turned 4 just 2 weeks after Bethany was born, and Andrew was 2. Tough times, but also wonderful! Try to enjoy them (I know with little/no sleep it is sometimes HARD!) because before you know it this "little" phase will be gone. I can't believe mine are now 4, 7, & 8!! Not little anymore. So, now I'm trying very hard to savor the days with my kiddos...even that is sometimes hard.
Love ya! Can't wait to see you at Christmas! Can I hold Allie in the sling for a while? I miss that part SOOO much!

Blessings dear ones-
Andie

Unknown said...

uh, oops...it really is me, didn't know I was signed into Warren's profile! :o)