Saturday, November 22, 2008

MOOOOOOOO.

Fair warning: In this post I ramble on and on and on about the topic of my boobs.



Can I just tell you what a fan I am of breast feeding? It really is just the best thing ever. It is the healthiest option for my baby. It helps in the shedding of the pounds that found me while I was pregnant and don't want to leave. There are no middle of the night bottle making sessions that have me totally forgetting how many scoops of formula I have already put in and wondering if I put too many or too few will it HARM MY BABY FOREVER?!?!?!? There is no hauling around all the equipment that goes along with bottle feeding. And best of all...there is no cost! Yep, I am all for breast feeding.



With both of my older girls I was able to nurse for about 4 or 5 months. I hope to go even longer with Allison. It is finally going well for us. I say finally even though she is only a week and half old. It's not like we struggled with it for a long time. It just seemed like forever when my milk was not coming in. At one point I talked to the doctor and he said to give it 24 more hours and if I still wasn't making enough to satisfy my baby I could supplement a couple of times a day with formula. My milk came in that day. I was beyond thrilled, I didn't want to offer her the "easy" way of eating and then expect for her to start working for it again. I was afraid she would want to take the easy way out and reject my boobs. I shouldn't have worried. I don't think this child would reject my boobs for anything at this point!



It all started off great in the hospital. I was SO hungry so I had the nurse order my food for me with every intention of nursing Allie for the first time before they delivered it. That didn't happen, so when the food came and I was just starting to feed the baby the nurse offered to set it to the side for me. I told her she could leave it and I would get it after I was done feeding. Allie latched on right away and was sucking to her hearts content, but oh my goodness I was HUNGRY! So I tucked the baby into my chest and pulled up the tray in front of me. The nurse came back into the room and just started laughing. There I was breast feeding my newborn baby for the first time and trying not to drop too much of my chicken ceaser salad on her little tiny head. But I will tell ya, I ate, Allison ate and we were all happier for it.



When we got home it was still going ok, but Allison would get so frustrated when she would be sucking and not getting full. She was on me at least every thirty minutes, sometimes more often. It felt like my milk would never come in. Then finally my boobs felt a little fuller. They started tingling when the baby would cry. And then miracle of miracles one day I had her on the left side and the right side started dripping. I was so happy you would have thought I had just won a major prize (like a bowling alley or a leg lamp...yeah, I'm already in Christmas Story mode). Since then we have had no problem with the milk supply. In fact, yesterday I was trying to get Allison to open her mouth wider and squirted her right in the face with breast milk! That never gets old or less funny...believe me! Today when I went to pick up Natalie from school I sat in the van and fed the baby while we waited. Yep, I sure do love breast feeding.



Alright, I'm done. I promise that I will try not to post about my boobs and the miraculous things they can do for a while. Try being the operative word there.

5 comments:

Sarah said...

I am glad everything is flowing fine. ;) Breast milk is a wonderful thing.

Jaime said...

Oh, I love how you prepare the rest of us for the joys of motherhood! Congrats on a full supply =)

Anonymous said...

hey girl. i've been meaning to call. i'm so glad you and allison are doing well. i know what you mean about nursing. it's the best bonding experience between a mother and child. lucas is almost 14 months and he still loves his boobies. give those girls kisses for us!

Andie said...

Nursing your babies is an amazing experience...one that I actually miss and am sad that I will never experience again. :o( But it is wonderful...so nice to know that your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to do and that you are the SOLE support for this little one. Just amazing! Congrats on the good supply!!

Blessings-Andie

Anonymous said...

I planned on breast feeding Hailey until she got teeth but when Ryan and I went to Branson on our honeymoon I dried up...She didn't get teeth until she was like 9 months old I think...Better luck to you this time...