Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What a Night!

As I sat on my couch last night and watched the map on tv turn red and blue I felt proud. I was proud of my country that finally seems to "get it". The numbers of voters were outstanding. People didn't just sit back complacently, they got involved. The young, the old, and so many in between. It was just a really nice feeling of unity and patriotism, no matter which candidate we were all for.
Of course I am thrilled with the outcome! I really, truly feel that the right man was elected at the right time. There are not many people who can (or would) argue that this country hasn't been on a downward spiral for quite some time now. We are in desperate need of some REAL change. Let's hope that the congress and the new president can all come together and make some of that change happen.
Let me make it clear that contrary to what you may think, I do not hate John McCain (it is a completely different story with Sarah Palin). I think he is a smart, savvy, courageous politician. I just don't agree with him on his policies and views. I thought his concession speech was really great. It felt real and made even this liberal democrat feel a pang of sorrow for him. But not too much. I was way too over the moon happy about Obama winning to feel to bad for the republicans last night.
So that is that. The election is over. I still live in a very red state (Buchanan and Tiahrt both won...again), but I live in a country that has come so far. I live in a country that elected it's first African American to lead our country when not so long ago he wouldn't have even been allowed to vote. I can only think that this is opening the door for so many great people to run for our highest office that wouldn't have been considered last election. No matter the race, no matter the gender, no matter the economic status or sexual orientation or any other distinguishing characteristic...the dream is alive. All of our kids can have realistic dreams about becoming president when they grow up. We really have come so far! Go Obama!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope that he does the job and gets us out of this spiral we are on. I hope people don't make this a big racial thing...and everyone just realizes we are ALL americans..and race doesn't matter. I didn't vote for Obama but I am looking forward to seeing what he can do for this country.

9 more days until the 14th... YAY!!!

Brie

Sarah said...

These are exciting times.

Rebecca said...

Well said...I voted McCain, but I am still excited to see what is ahead of us. I think last night was a great night for our country regardless of the outcome!

Jaime said...

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Anonymous said...

Thought you might find this interesting(although I could not wait for them all to download!!!!)

http://obama2008.s3.amazonaws.com/headlines.html

Anonymous said...

LOL...you know I heard that something that is in pineapple actually causes contractions...so eat away lol...
Brie

Anonymous said...

I don't know who left you the website above, but it is REALLY COOL. Since I'm at work my computer is really fast so it didn't take too long for it all to come up, but I can see where it might. It has every front page of papers from the US, and then the World. Amazing! Love Mom