Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hi. My name is Loni and I'm a nail-biter.

Click. ClickClick. Click. ClickClickClick.

That was the sound of me biting my nails. I have been a nail-biter for as long as I can remember. I have also wanted to quit biting my nails for as long as I can remember. It's gross. It's stupid looking. It's just something I really don't want to do anymore.

Usually it is a totally unconscious action. When I am bored or being impatient I find myself gnawing away. But it is also a coping mechanism. When I am mad, or sad, or nervous, or uncomfortable I bite. It really does help me calm down. I guess it is kind of my security blanket in a way. Something that is always there for me when I need it.

But I am so ready to not have that security anymore. In the last twenty years I have tried everything I could think of to try to stop chewing on my hands. I have used the yucky tasting nail polish, I have put band-aids on the fingers I tend to chew on the most, I have gotten wonderful expensive manicures with fake fingernails. None of these things worked even a little bit. I got used to the polish (I was not proud of that) and I chewed on the fake nails until they came off and then I continued chewing on my nails. I thought that I could quit when I got engaged because I wanted to show off my ring and I HATE showing people my hands. But no, I just found a way to show my ring without drawing attention to my grotesque fingernails.

I am embarrassed by my hands. I am embarrassed when I find myself biting in public. I am just plain embarrassed. I don't want this addiction anymore (it is way past a habit now). Got any ideas for me? I am open to suggestions!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Ok, I have no advise for you, but I can remember you saying you wanted to stop biting your nails way back in the day when we lived in Lawrence together! LOL. I know its not funny, but I just remember it. I wish you luck and STOP BITING YOUR NAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
love ya!
~Liz

Andie said...

If you figure out something, let me know! Abbigail is a nail biter, and I'm afraid Bethany is beginning to chew. When Abbie was only 2 or 3 I bribed her to quit chewing...if she quit for a week I'd buy her a care bear she wanted...she quit, got the bear, and that night all her fingers were chewed off again! AHHH!!! But with Abbie, it's not just her nails, she puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. She's worse now than when she was a baby...I constantly see her with "stuff" in her mouth that shouldn't be there. She even swallowed a magnet last year. Any advice on that one????
Andie