Friday, June 27, 2008

Hello Hospital

I have been having some pain for the last couple of days. I wasn't too worried, I just thought it was the normal stretching pain that comes with an expanding belly. Then it started to hurt more. It was kind of a low cramping. On Wednesday night I told Larry that I thought I might have a urinary tract infection and that I was going to call the doctor in the morning. So yesterday morning, after I dropped Natalie off at her summer class, I called. I was completely expecting the nurse to tell me to come in, get a test for the UTI and then put me on a prescription. But as we were talking I mentioned that I had been feeling the baby every so often but I hadn't since this weekend. "Oh." Don't you hate when a nurse or doctor sound worried. That just always gives me a bad feeling. She suggested that I go in to the hospital for an exam.
Even though I was still pretty sure my diagnosis was right I got kind of nervous. I was expecting to have to visit the doctor's office, not the hospital. My mom came over to take me and watch the girls. Natalie was playing with her neighborhood boyfriend Gavin and his momma (my good friend across the street) offered to keep her while I went. It was such a relief not having to worry about Natalie being bored in the waiting room at the hospital. She stayed with the neighbors and had a great time. Vanessa went with us and was a very good little girl as they sat in the waiting room.
They started by trying to find the heart beat. After they couldn't for a few minutes I began crying. I was just nervous and hormonal and couldn't hold it together any longer. Finally, another nurse came in with another machine and after a brief search found the little thump-thump that we were all waiting for. So after that I was a lot calmer. They did the exam and tested all the stuff they needed to test and it turns out......I have a urinary tract infection! I was right. I'm glad that I went in though. It put my mind to rest and reassured me that there was a baby and "he" (don't know for sure yet, but I think it's a boy) was doing fine. The nurses and residents were all SO nice and comforting. They kept telling me it was the right thing to come in and I should not be so hard on myself. I really like Saint Joe. It is just a good little hospital.
So, anyway everything is fine. I am not as crazy as I was yesterday and I am on medication. I still haven't felt anything, but I figure the kid is moving and I'm just not feeling it. I am just so lucky to have the support system I have. My family and friends are so great. They make everything easier. I just wanted to say thanks to all of them! Now I just have to keep myself healthy and keep baking this baby. And no more trips to the hospital until November!!!

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my how scary! I am sooooooooo glad everything is ok!!!!!

Liz said...

Oh you made me cry! I'm such a mess right now, and I really wish I could be there with you and for you. It really sucks when your best friend lives so far away. I love you and I'm so glad that 'he' is doing well. How stressful for you. No more scares little bean!!! I hope it s a boy too! Love you lots and I am going to call you probably this evening. Jacks 2 month appt is today, and i'm not doing well with it already...lol

Anonymous said...

I'm glad everything is okay...6 more days until ya find out...yay!!! How exciting =)..Hope you get to feeling better...and yes no more trips to the hospital until November =)...
Brie

Andie said...

Oh Loni, you scared me! I have tears in my eyes. This post totally brought me back to the scariest night of my life, the night I thought I'd lost Abbie. I'm sure I've told you the story...and the doctor I had was NOT suportive or caring AT ALL! I would have thought Abbigail was gone if not for a nurse who insisted he call for an OB consult! THANK GOD FOR THAT NURSE! I'm shaking just thinking about it. I'm so thankful that you and the little "guy" are ok. UTI's are no fun, but they are easily treatable!!!

Blessings my dear cousin-
Andie

Anonymous said...

Hey girl. I wish i could give you a big hug. I'm so thankful everything is ok. I can't wait to hear about the ultrasound.....

Love ya

Anonymous said...

loni - I remember the night Andi is talking about and I can only imagine how terribly frightening that is. I want you to know that Barb and I regularly pray for you and your little "guy". We love our niece and her family, I hope you know that. Hang in there God loves you very much and will provide all your needs - including good health.

Terry