Thursday, March 20, 2008

HAHAHAHA......Oh, Sorry, That's Not Funny

Inappropriate Laughter Story #1:
Yesterday I made Natalie mad at me (big surprise) by telling her she could not have any ice cream before dinner. I thought she was over it....I thought. A little while later she was sitting on the floor with Vanessa brushing her hair and talking to her. They were being so cute and sweet that I had to "hide" in the dining room and observe their sisterly love. Natalie was talking to Vanessa and Vanessa was sitting there looking up at her big sister adoringly. Then I heard Natalie saying this:
"OK, Nessa. Listen to me. Say this just like me, 'Mama is an idiot'".
My first reaction should have been anger and maybe a time-out. So what was my first reaction? One of those nose snort laughs that you try not to let out but just cannot stop it no matter what you do. They didn't hear me because they were too busy agreeing that I was, in fact, an idiot. After I controlled myself I took Nat in the other room (she tends to show off in front of her sissy) and told her that she should never call names and she WILL NOT teach her almost one year old sister to say those mean things and if I heard it again she would be sitting in time out and wouldn't get any ice cream at all. She said sorry and hugged me and we didn't have another incident. But, yeah, big sisters are great.

Inappropriate Laughter Story #2:
After I finished reading to Nat last night for bed we were laying there talking. She asked me if I dreamed at night and I said, yes I do. I asked her if she did and she said that yes, she did, but sometimes they were scary dreams. So we started talking about scary dreams and how it's just the mind making up stories. The lights were off and we were snuggling in bed and she began telling me about a dream she had had.
"There was a big spider with tons and tons of legs and it was crawling all over the wall and then it went on the ceiling and it was crawling around and looking at me......and it had a mustache!"
I couldn't help it. I started laughing and I couldn't stop. All I could picture was this big animated spider with a huge black mustache. It was too funny!!! I felt bad because here was my sweet little girl telling me about this horrible dream and I was laughing. Then she kept saying, "why do you laugh when I say mustache?" Well, that just about did me in. I was trying to be quiet, but I was laughing so hard I had tears. She started laughing too and we hugged and talked a little bit about how next time she had that dream she should just laugh at that spider and not be scared. I think it turned out to be a good conversation in the end.

Kids are funny, even when they aren't trying to be. Especially when they are not trying.

1 comments:

Andie said...

I LOVE your stories! You are NOT an idiot...but that is hilarious! Laughing at scary dreams is a great idea! I'll have to try that one with my kiddos.
Andie