Tuesday, March 18, 2008

March Madness

I am obsessed with college basketball. It is an addiction. I watch every KU game and try to catch other teams as often as I can. I go to ESPN.com daily and watch Gameday every Saturday. I look forward to Selection Sunday and the NCAA tournament like I look forward to my birthday. Yeah, it's a sickness.

The bracket came out on Sunday and within 30 minutes I had done my picks, made Larry do his, and started Natalie with hers (but then she picked Portland St over KU and I had to disown her). I am so excited to get this tourney going! I signed up for the VIP pass on the Internet so I will have access to all the games. Since I have kiddos and a life off the court, I will not be able to watch as much as I would like, which is probably good. It has been said that you can have too much of a good thing, but I have never thought that applied to KU basketball, kisses from my kids, and buffalo chicken wings. You know, the important things in life.

Luckily, I married someone who likes basketball too. He prefers pros, but he is a college fan as well. The only problem is he likes North Carolina. This has made for some tense moments in our marriage (when Roy Williams left my team for his I was afraid we would have to get a divorce. I imagined filing and when asked for the reason I would say "irreconcilable basketball differences). UNC and KU are on the same side of the bracket this year so it would be a possibility for the two to play in the final four. If this happens I really don't think Larry and I would be able to watch the game together. Maybe not even in the same zip code. Possible not with access to the phone. It would not be out of the realm of possibility for one of us to call the other after a particularly good play and say something to the effect of "suck on that Tarheel loser wussy boy!" While the immediate gratification might be totally worth it, in the long run it is not usually considered a good idea to call your husband a "loser" or a "wussy".

I hope you all have as much fun watching these next couple weeks of basketball as I will. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Go KU!!!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, Loni - you're kinda scaring me now. I know how you and your Dad have always been about KU basketball, but it looks like you've put together some kind of witch doctory talisman kinda thing. I hope you don't make Natalie and Vaness kneel before it. haha At least your dad never had to regret not having a boy to talk basketball with - he's got you, and you know more than any guys we know. I hope you have a wonderful Big Dance because it's basically your Christmas. Have Fun. Love Mom

Sarah said...

I am not much of a basketball lover, but your blog made me laugh.
So "GO KU" Just for you! ;)

Unknown said...

I love college basketball too. And sadly, I must side with your husband. I am a HUGE UNC fan and have been all my life. I don't get to see alot of the games living in Canada. Guess they think hockey is still more important. URGHH!! Good luck to your team and of course to those tar heels..

Anonymous said...

lol I think divorce everytime I am cleaning up after Ryan...
Not a basketball fan but I do like KU...Its a must in my family..lol..
So, hope they win for you =)
Brie

Anonymous said...

Go HAWKS!! Understand this so completely! Slight difference tho in that the ball we love is a little different shape. The passion, however, flows as intensely.
Your Sooner buddies in OK!