Sunday, October 14, 2007

Name Games

I was asked recently why we picked the names Natalie and Vanessa for our girls. I answered honestly, they were the ONLY names both Larry and I agreed on. It was the big argument through both pregnancies for us. When I was expecting Vanessa I would go through book after book and write down names that I liked. Larry would go through my lists and mark off any he didn't like at all. The only one that ever came back unmarked was Vanessa. Natalie was a bit easier if I remember correctly and I just haven't blocked it all out. Natalie is actually my favorite name. I love it. I find it so pretty and feminine. I kind of feel bad for Vanessa, like she got a leftover name. But I really like it too, also very pretty and feminine. And it grows on me more and more every day.

So I got to thinking why I loved those names so much. I really think it all goes back to my name. I have grown to accept and even love my name as I have gotten older. As a child, I really, REALLY didn't like it. Growing up my main goal was to be like everyone else. I didn't want to dress differently, or talk differently, or do my hair differently, or be named differently. I was told it was unique, I just heard DIFFERENT!! My name was constantly misspelled, and more than once I have been called Lori, or my favorite "Low-knee". Why in the hell would Loni be pronounce like that?!?!? But I think the biggest problem I had with my name was that if anyone actually did know anyone named Loni, it was a male. I hated that. "Oh, I used to know a Lonnie! It was an ugly old man though." Gee, great.

So I ended up naming my girls familiar, long, girly-girl names. Not many people mispronounce either name. They are not the most common, popular names now, and I like it that way, but they are not names people have never heard before. They are just two pretty names for two pretty girls!

2 comments:

Andie said...

I love your girls' names! You're right, two pretty names for two pretty girls.
I also didn't like my name growing up. Every Andrea I knew was a snotty, stuck-up, bratty girl. So I was kind of glad to go by Andie, but then Andy is a boys name, so I didn't like it. Crazieness...
So with my kiddos, I wanted nice names that could have a nick-name if they chose...but not too common. I chose Abbigail (yes, I spell it wierd!) when we first started trying to get pregnant. At that time it was not very popular...but 3 years later when she was born it was a very popular name...but I loved it so much I couldn't pick another! Andrew we chose because we love that the Andrew in the Bible was known for bringing his friends to Jesus...and that is what we hope for our son. We knew right away that we had to give him the nickname of Drew instead of Andy...how wierd would it be for a boy to be named after his mom?? :o) Bethany...again, just loved the name, and the fact that it is easily recognizable, but not too common. I wanted to spell it Bethanie, but Warren said we had already messed up one child...we couldn't do it to another!
We love the names Benjamin, Jonas, and Brian (Bree-Ann)...but I don't believe we'll be using any of them! :o)
Blessings to you and your beautiful girls!
Andie

Sarah said...

I love both of their names Loni. I often get the question why did you name your daughter a boys name? Who cares. As long as you like it that is all that matters.

I started blogging too. it is fun.