Tuesday, February 26, 2008

And yet she forgets she has to brush her teeth everyday....

About a month ago we were stuck in traffic at Kellogg and Rock here in Wichita. Since the advertising powers that be know without a doubt that each and every car that drives through that intersection will set though no less than 3 red lights, they installed one of those enormous billboards. It is not just any billboard, it is a high-tech tv-like sign that changes it's ad every 10 seconds. Since we were sitting there, not going anywhere, Natalie was watching the sign change. I wasn't paying it any attention because I was too busy staring at the light willing it to change to green and stay green long enough for us to get through. All of a sudden, from the backseat, I heard,
"MOM!! LOOK!! SESAMEET LIVE IS COMING!! IT REALLY IS!!"
It was if she had just won the kid lottery. I looked back at her and she was beaming. I'm serious, if she smiled any bigger her mouth would have fused with her ears.
I love Sesame Street. I watched it as a kid and I have encouraged Nat to watch it since before she was even old enough to care. We have been to two Sesame Street Lives so far and have enjoyed them both. But this year I really could have cared less if we saw a 7-foot yellow bird dancing and singing or not. So we didn't talk about it with Natalie again. Larry and I discussed it, and never ruled it out. We just weren't going to encourage it.
I knew it was coming this weekend, but Natalie hadn't said anything since we saw the sign so I figured we might just get to skip this one. But today, on the way to gymnastics I heard this sweet little "I'm an angel, now fork over all your loot" voice coming from my daughter.
"Mama, I remember that Sesameet Live sign."
This she remembers. She can't remember to be quiet for ten minutes while Vanessa is sleeping without being reminded. She can't remember that she already had the last cookie two minutes ago and there aren't any more. She can't remember that she really did need to go potty before dance class. But a sign for giant puppets LIVE from a month ago, that she remembers.
So, a trip to the coliseum box office and $51 later, we are going to "Sesameet Live" (by the way, that is how she has always pronounced it) on Saturday. That is their treat. Our treat is that they are going to spend the night at Nana and Papa's house afterwards. Oh, I mean that's for them to....yeah...that's it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how they will remember those things and not remember the other stuff like brushing their teeth? Guess Seasame Street is more fun and exciting than those other things. Kenley loves Big Bird especially. Have a great time!! And enjoy your kidless night together!!

Anonymous said...

We're skipping Sesame Street Live this year... I think Hailey is too young. But, we'll probably go next year. Not too sure though. She isn't very into Sesame Street. She's into Dora...She dances to the songs on the show...it's too cute =)