Monday, February 11, 2008

If I was in the mood for a soap opera I would have stayed home and watched "All My Children"

Let me just start by saying: HOLY CRAP!!!
Some people have no sense of decency. Or privacy. Or respect for others. Or common sense (can you have a sense of common sense? oh well...you get the idea).
I went up to city hall today to turn in my fix-it ticket that I got last Wednesday for not knowing my head light was out. There was a line, but it was moving fairly quickly and most everyone was accepting the wait. Except one woman. One crazy, crazy woman. She was doing that "waiting song and dance" consisting of shifting her weight from leg to leg, sighing obnoxiously, and rolling her eyes so often I thought they might just roll right out of her head. We were ALL waiting. It wasn't like she was being treated differently then the rest of us.
I thought her show was over when she finally got up to the window. I was so, so wrong. Apparently the show had just begun. As her ticket was being taken care of her cell phone rang. She answered and what happened next was impossible not to watch. It was like catching one of those surgery shows on tv when you are channel surfing and not wanting to see it but you are physically unable to change. the. channel. It was like that...but worse.
The caller was a male that we all learned 1. stays in her house without paying any bills. 2. was allowed to "lay his hands" on her just last night. and 3. had the audacity to talk to another female today!!!!!!!!! She was yelling and cussing at him right there in front of everyone, absoluetly oblivious to the rest of us watching her and laughing at all the good parts (such as the afformentioned "laying of the hands"). Now, if I would have had my girls with me I would have been PISSED! But Larry was being a sweetie and watching them in the car so I could run in uninhibited. So it really was like a free soap opera. I was two people from the front of the line and I actually caught myself hoping it would take awhile to get up there so I could see how this all played out. I didn't have to worry...it took awhile.
The funniest part of her tirade was that she kept saying "I am not going to put up with this. I am going to hang up NOW!" and then she would continue on. We all began to smirk everytime she said she was done. Because she never was. She left the room STILL reaming the guy. She threatened with all kinds of good one liners that I will now have in my own repertoire. "I am a woman who just don't give a damn." "Males come and go, come and go. You're nothin' special." "Why would that bitch say it if it wasn't true?" (this one got an actual audible laugh from a few of the spectators). "You ain't nothing but a deadbeat ass bullshitter." (my personal fave!), and then out of nowhere she called him, in the meanest voice possible, a "procrastinator"...I'm not quite sure she knew what that word meant because it had nothing to do with anything else she was screaming at him.
She finally left with a super dramatic opening of the door and was gone. Everyone there looked at each other and laughed the laugh of the relieved and embarrased. The guy in front of me turned and said, "at least the time went by fast." So true stranger guy, so true.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

I love moments like that! I caught one in Walmart the other day. Fun to watch and thankful it isn't you. ;)

Andie said...

Oh my goodness!! I agree with the being upset if the kids were along! What a life she must lead...almost feel sorry for her. I guess it's a good thing he didn't accompany her to the line, htey might have gotten over the fight and begun "laying hands on eachother" in public! Oh the life you lead in that big city! :o)

Blessings-Andie

Anonymous said...

I hate to talk on the phone around people I don't know-now I know it's probably because I live such a boring life. You've seen the commercial of the man thinking the woman was talking to him,in the grocery store and then he realized
she was really talking on her cell
phone. I love watching other people. Umph I guess my life really is boring. Love ya marilyn