Thursday, July 31, 2008

Not blogging makes me sad.

I have been neglecting my blog lately. If I do have a few minutes (which doesn't happen that often), I just can't make myself sit down and type. There are so many other things to do, both necessary and just fun. Like this morning. Instead of just coming home after dropping Natalie off for her last day of summer school I went to a consignment sale. I didn't buy much, just a winter outfit for each girl and a cheap maternity tank top for myself, but I just kept walking around. Vanessa was in her stroller and it was so nice to be able to browse without chasing a kid, or yelling at anyone to stop right there, or putting endless things back on hangers that someone had pulled off and thrown to the floor. I just looked and then looked again. Sometimes I need time for myself even if I am not actually by myself...does that make sense?

Anyway, as I mentioned already, today was Natalie's last day in her summer class. That means one month until she starts real preschool three days a week. She is excited about that, but really wishes she could have the same teacher she has now. Miss Shannon is a college student that helps out at the Children's Day Out program that Nat attends. She is so great. When she took over the class in the middle of last year you could see the change that occurred in Natalie and her outlook at going to school. All of a sudden she wasn't just playing by herself. She was making friends and leading groups of kids in games. She was talking and singing and being the cool little girl she is at home. I credit Miss Shannon for bringing out the best in my little girl. She made her feel comfortable and self-assured. She was always telling Nat how neat of a kid she is, yet still keeping her extremely active nature in check. As a mom it is so hard sending out your little kid into the big, bad world. Miss Shannon was a great first step for me and my daughter.
For the last day I made Miss Shannon a card and Nat and I bought her a gift certificate to Bath and Body Works. I hope she knows how awesome she has been for us. I hope I always got that across to her. Teachers deserve all the respect and accolades in the world...especially the good ones!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got Ryan a sweater and Hailey 1 pair of jeans, like 3 sweaters, and 1 coat for Hailey (Didn't have that great of a selection of boys clothes)...lol I know what you mean about having "you" time but not really being alone... Ryan starts school again on the 14th...Cannot wait!!! LOL.
Brie

Anonymous said...

Oh ya...forgot...They had a little KU cheerleader outfit there...it was like size 2T I think...
Brie

Andie said...

What a wonderful thing you did for Nat's teacher. It is so nice that you told her how much you appreciated her! I bet you made her day! And the gift certificate..GREAT idea! Little teacher knick knacks are fun, but how many "apple" plaques can one person really use? (I've gotten many, and my co-teacher this year has TONS...I'm already sick of them!)

Blessings-Andie

PS...can't wait to see you tomorrow!