Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What am I going to do now?

My friend is leaving me.

Ok, that's not entirely accurate. She is actually just moving from across the street to a wonderful new house. I should be completely happy for her. The house they are moving to is in a great small town with wonderful schools. There will be enough bedrooms for everyone. They are getting to remodel it exactly the way they want. It is perfect for them! And I am happy for her (and more than a little jealous!). But what am I going to do when she is not across the street anymore?
When they moved into the neighborhood a couple of years ago I was going through a very lonely point in my life. Natalie was little and I stayed home alone with her most of the time. All I wanted was a good friend that I could call as often as I needed to cry or complain or brag or just talk. I needed someone who could relate to me and knew what it was that I was going through. I needed someone close that could give me at least some kind of escape. So when I saw a young family move in to the house across the street I was optimistic.
I would consider myself pretty outgoing but also shy (does that make any sense?). So it took a lot for me to finally go over and introduce myself. I met her and her kids and liked them all right away. We began getting together to let the kids play. We would sit and talk while they ran wild. Slowly we started to talk more and more until it was to the point that if I didn't talk to her for a couple of days I would go into withdraw. We became super close. We told each other everything and I always knew I was talking to someone who wouldn't judge me. She is someone who laughs at me when I need laughed at, is sympathetic when I need it, gives me advice and makes things a little easier to deal with. I hope she feels the same way.
I talk about this like I will never see her again. I know we will still talk on the phone....maybe more! I know we will still get together and talk while the kids run wild. I know I am not actually losing my friend. But who am I going to call when I need someone to come see if my outfit makes me look ridiculous? Who else will offer to watch Natalie while Vanessa and I nap after a night of approximately two hours of sleep total (like she did yesterday)? Who is going to be right across the street when I need a friend?
I will miss you living so close Carisa....but I am so happy you found a place to raise your family that you will feel safe and happy in. But still. I will miss you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg u made me cry! i miss u 2!!!!!!!!!!! ~carisa

Anonymous said...

WOW NOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL EVEN WORSE ABOUT MOVING SINCE YOU AND CARISA WONT BE ABLE TO JUST RUN ACROSS THE STREET TO SEE EACH OTHER. SHE STILL WOULD PR0BABLY JUMP IN THE VAN AND DRIVE ALL THE WAY THERE TO TELL YOU YOUR OUTFIT LOOKS OK THOUGH.