Monday, September 22, 2008

Weekend Project

A couple of weeks ago I went into the girls' room and boxed and bagged up every toy. This (tantrum) project was spurred on by two things. One was a fierce nesting instinct that I have had to suppress because I have been so sick. The second thing was the threat of divorce that I'm still not sure wasn't completely serious. The toys were beginning to take over our entire house. It was to the point that there wasn't room for the girls and their toys in the same room.

The plan was to get everything out to the garage where I could sort it and reorganize it without little grubby hands spreading everything back out again. I got a lot of it done last week, but not as much as I would have liked because, again, I was sick. This weekend I felt good and decided to tackle the mess. I went through every toy those girls have. I have three bags and a box of get rid of stuff and the rest all now have homes in tubs or the toy box. Everything is easy to find and get to, unlike it was before. I have a picture that I am half proud of, half embarrassed of (these girls have A LOT of stuff!). But here is the fruit of all my hard work of this weekend. I have to add that this picture was taken before I was officially finished and I ended up adding one more under-bed size box and two more shoebox sixed tubs...and I drew a few more pics on the labels!

I even went through each individual piece of Barbie clothing! It was a lot of work, but it was kind of fun for all of us to find toys that we had all but forgotten. The girls love picking out a tub and playing with the stuff and then putting it away to pick another tub. So far it is working out really well. And I have to admit I feel a great sense of accomplishment every time I look at all the labeled tubs holding all the organized toys.

On another note, I had my first "going into labor" dream last night. It was very odd and didn't involve anyone it probably should have! I used to watch All My Children when Natalie would nap (boy, that seems like a long time ago) and in my dream one of the characters was the one taking me to the hospital. I just kept screaming "I'M IN LABOR!!!" over and over again. I was hysterical. Hopefully the real thing won't mirror this crazy dream, it would be nice if I wasn't acting like a maniac and if my husband was actually with me!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to go! I love getting stuff organized and picked threw. You look like you got a good handle on the toys and stuff (for now) I hear it is easier to keep it up than to just do it. So you got the hard part over.

Anonymous said...

Great job lol...I think I will attempt to organize out house once all our kids are gone and off to college or wherever lol...
Brie

Andie said...

Way to go Loni! Having the toys organized is so wonderful! I do it once a year (or less...:o() and it feels so good.
I've had some CRAZY pregnancy dreams! Let me know if you want to hear about them sometime!
Glad you are feelling better.
Andie