Friday, December 12, 2008

Next on their list of things to break: my Christmas spirit

Last night Larry and I were lovingly tucking Natalie into bed (reality=taking away reading time and threatening that Santa wasn't coming at all if she didn't get her little butt into bed NOW) when she made a confession. She had taken another ornament off of the Christmas tree and accidentally broke it.

A little back story here. I feel that I'm a pretty sympathetic mother, and because of that I know how tempting it is to play with the Christmas decorations. I mean, come on, they are like little toys that come out once a year for the sole purpose of mocking kids whose Mom's are all, "DON'T TOUCH THAT OR I'M CANCELLING CHRISTMAS!" So since I have had kids I have made sure there are an ample amount of Christmas things that are specifically out to be played with. They have a basket full of books, stuffed animals, and real grown up decorations that cannot be broken. They also have a small tree with ornaments that are all kid friendly. They can decorate their tree or their room or themselves to their hearts content....with THEIR OWN STUFF! Every year when the boxes come up from the basement we talk about how they have their own decorations, so leave the rest alone!

This year I put up their tree and gave them their ornaments, which they promptly broke in as many ways as possible. Things that would survive a nuclear bomb have been reduced to random pieces of red and green plastic scattered throughout the house (try getting up in the middle of the night and finding Pooh's decapitated head smiling at you from inside the refrigerator door. That kind of discovery will mess you up for life). So after the girls were tired of destroying their own stuff they, of course, moved onto mine. I am up to a grand total of seven broken ornaments. And we still have a couple of weeks until Christmas! Last nights victim was an elf holding a banner that says Natalie. I was informed that one tiny green leg is somewhere in the bottom of the toy box. Let me just say, we really should buy some stock in super glue the way we've been going through it.

Natalie reluctantly handed over the little legless elf and I placed her on the "shelf of broken ornaments". It is possibly the saddest Christmas sight ever. There is a piglet without an ear, a cheerleader without pom-poms, an angel without her hands, a snowman without his snowflake (if you know what I mean..wink wink!), and now a poor little smiling elf without a limb.

Natalie was assuring us that is was an ACCIDENT! REALLY!! DIDN'T MEAN TO!! That would be well and good if it weren't for the fact that this kind of "accident" happens daily, usually right after I tell them to leave the tree alone or I'm taking it down. We had the talk again and she promised not to touch anymore ornaments. I'm guessing we will be adding to the shelf sooner rather than later.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed and laughed, and then remembered that Nat and Nessa are spending the night with us on Sat., and OMG my tree, my ornaments, my stuff - oh my. Well, you know, Christmas is for kids, and if stuff happens, it happens. I'll still love 'em!!
Love, Nana

Jaime said...

You are a good mom to have the kid-friendly stuff!! Too bad they aren't that interested in it!

I have to say, the one-legged elf is kind of charming ;)

Sarah said...

This must be the year for broken things. I have had 3 things I love this year get smashed. 2 were broken by Jeremy, so I really need help. ha ha

Andie said...

Oh, honey...I feel for you. This is the first year I haven't had a toddler running around my house (last year were the child-care kiddos)...so I thought it was ok to hang some of my more delicate ornaments down a bit lower. I have this one ornament that was given to me by a former student. She picked it out all by herself. It is a Barbie doll ornament, and Bethan can't keep her little mits off of it!! It is now at the TOP of the tree with the Darth Vader ornament that is missing his arm and his head, right next to Luke, whose light saber has gone missing (I think that hand that was cut off took the light saber with it!)...anyway, I know your pain. Keep enjoying your girls...they will be big soon!
Love ya-Andie

Anonymous said...

Just a short update on my comment. Since it is now Monday, and the girls have spent the night and gone home already, I can report that they were PERFECT at my house. OK, almost perfect. Actually, they didn't break anything, but boy did they have fun moving it all to new places. However, I found it all, and it is all back in it's original place just waiting for them to visit again, and play with it. It's a LOT easier having grandkids than kids. Love - MOM