Thursday, October 9, 2008

Writer's Workshop Thursday

Writer's Workshop Thursday
MY TEN BIGGEST FEARS
1. ANYTHING happening to my kids. I cannot even contemplate the horror of something bad happening to my babies. I don't even like to talk about it.
2. An intruder in my home. I actually lay in bed at night and plot my strategy if this were to happen. My husband is a very heavy sleeper and I have often been scared that I wouldn't be able to wake him up. This is why I keep a little glass of water on our dresser, just in case I need to throw it on his face to get him up!
3. Elevators. Oh, how I hate elevators. If there are stairs or an escalator I will take them if at all possible. I hate going somewhere with multiple floors while pushing a stroller. I have to take the elevator then, and if I were prone to hyperventilating, I am sure that is when I would do it. This leads me to my next fear...
4. Being buried alive. Small, confined spaces freak me out. This would be the ultimate small, confined space. I don't even like to watch movies where this happens.
5. Dying without being able to tell someone exactly how to raise the girls. This is my control freak coming out. I am always telling Larry or my Mom things that they should know if I wasn't around anymore. Things like you have to give Vanessa snacks in groups of two because she likes one in both hands. Or that when Natalie wakes up crying from a nightmare you can try to comfort her, but really she just wants you there laying beside her while she cries it out for a while. Yeah, I even have those "open in case of my death" letters that contain more instructions. Control. Freak.
6. Change. I have always feared change. Growing up was so hard for me because there was constant change. You can imagine how I reacted when I got my first period! And then on the other hand....
7. Staying the same. Yes, I know this is hypocritical. But as much as I fear a lot of change, I also fear not ever moving forward in my life. It would be horrible to find myself in the same ruts in twenty years.
8. Dirt roads. I grew up on a dirt road. A lot of my friends lived on dirt roads. And I rolled my first truck at the age of 15 on a dirt road. I was young and stupid. I was going too fast and got over into the loose gravel on the side, lost control and over I went. When I "woke up" running down the road covered in blood it was the most scared I have ever been in my life. Luckily I was ok, just a few cuts and bruises, but the mental scars stay with me to this day. I am ok when I am driving because I feel like I can be in control. When someone else is driving I freak out. I grab the arm rest and hold on for dear life.
9. Failing. I want to succeed. I am not sure yet how I am going to gauge my success in the end, but I know I want to get there. I know I want to be a good mom and raise good daughters. I know I want a career that I like, am good at, and can provide a good life for my family. I know that I want to get past my hangups and overcome my more negative points.
10. Being alone. I am so dependant on the support system that has built itself around me. I have my husband, my kids, my parents, my in-laws, my extended family, and, of course, my friends. I couldn't get through a minute, let alone a lifetime, without them.
So, there you have 'em! Your turn!!

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Good list...and it is so scary worrying about the kids; I can't even imagine if anything happened to my babies (well, there not really babies anymore--but to me they always will be)!!

Denise said...

I like your list! I too fear failing and change. I also have an extreme fear of anything ever happening to my daughter.

tiarastantrums said...

man -#5 - so with you on this one - I have warned my husband 100's of 1000's of times if he doesn't raise our children with ME still in them - I will haunt him forever!

jenn said...

Great list. I've been thinking about making a will and letters on how to raise my daughter if anything happened to me. (Yes, I'm a control freak too.) Oh, and I was walking through my house with a tiny screwdriver as a weapon the other night, because I thought I heard an intruder.

Rebecca said...

I like the letter idea...yes, inner control freak come forward!

Weeksie50 said...

Girl we fear many of the same things..

KatBouska said...

Yep I'm with on number five too! Control freak much?? ;)

Ashley said...

I relate very much so with your number 10!