Thursday, May 22, 2008

Just an observation

I was flipping through channels the other night and came across David Letterman. He was interviewing some woman and for the life of me I couldn't figure out who she was. She looked about 35, but when she opened her mouth she sounded like a fourteen-year-old. I finally gave in and turned on the guide and it was Ali Lohan, Lindsey Lohan's little sister. She really is fourteen.
Now, I realize you can't help genetics, and she just naturally looks a lot older than she is. But then the make-up and hair didn't help at all. Whatever happened to 14-year-olds looking 14? She had on all this dark black eye make-up that I know they put on for tv, but it was seriously too much. It made me kind of sad really, to see this little kid looking and trying to act like an adult. Childhood goes far too quickly as it is. Why rush it?
These days all 14-year-old girls want to look 35, and all 35-year-olds want to look fourteen. It's crazy. I want my girls to be happy to be the age they are and enjoy every minute of their childhood. If that means I have to be the mean mom and say no make-up until a certain age or no trampy clothes I will. Even if all their friends are doing it. I want to keep their innocence intact for as long as I can.
Ok, my rant is over.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

We are on the same page sister! These days girls as young as 7 are wearing heals. I didn't even know what heals were till I has in highschool.
They will hate us, but love us later. ;)

Anonymous said...

In one way, this is kind of funny because it's exactly how my generation thought about your generation. However, I never really had that problem with you too much because you used to always say "I don't ever want to grow up because I like being a little girl." Even then you seemed to know it wasn't that easy being a grown up. I hope that Natty and Nessa will be content to stay little for awhile. But, at least I know they won't be leaving your house looking like hussies!
Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I know I wish I could go back and have my childhood again...Mine kind of got cut short because I had Ryan...but that's ok. Life goes on. But ya you can never tell how old girls are anymore.. Oh and Ali Lohan and her mama Dina are suppose to have a show on E! that airs on Monday...when I go to Vegas...dang...lol I'm going to miss it!
Brie