Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Yeah, so maybe I should make more of an effort

Apparently my daughters hardly recognize me if I am not in ratty sweats and a ponytail.


Sunday I went to a bridal shower at the Wichita Country Club for a girl I have known...well, since birth. Since the shower was at a country club and not the local Mickey D's I figured I had better try to make myself a little more presentable. I have a very limited amount of clothing that I can wear at this point in my pregnancy. Either stuff is too big and has to be put aside until I am further along and larger or it is not elastic waist, which is to say that I refuse to wear it because I have just enough belly for that to be really, really uncomfortable. So needless to say, I had to go buy something new. I found a way cute dress at Target on clearance(!!!) that wasn't maternity but looked ok on my new rounder body. To make it even better I already had shoes to match so I didn't have to spend money on more shoes (although I was totally tempted to find some sparkly sandals of some sort).


On Sunday I got all dolled up (which means I showered, shaved, did my hair, and put on make-up...go me!) and slipped into my room to commence my clothing ritual. This includes getting fully dressed, looking in the mirror, deciding I can't go in public looking like this even though I just bought the damn dress for this occasion, taking everything off, trying something else that looks even more hideous, ripping though my closet for anything that might look half way decent, realizing that I don't have anything else which is why I bought something new in the first place, and then going back to the original outfit and realizing it doesn't look that bad. Every time people. You would think I would learn.


So I finally finished getting ready and walked out into the living room where Larry and the girls were rolling their eyes about how long this all was taking me. Natalie looked at me like a martian had just poofed into the house and stolen her last cookie. "Mom! You look pretty!" Vanessa slowly made her way over to me trying to decide if this was, in fact, her mommy and not some better dressed, better taken care of replacement mommy. When they got over the shock of me in something without a stain on it, they wouldn't leave me alone. Natalie was all, "Look at your earrings! Look at you shoes with cute bows! Look at your shiny lips!" She couldn't get over it. Vanessa just really liked the fabric at the bottom of my dress.


Anyway, I had a really good time at the shower. It was great seeing my friend again. The only thing that sucked was I couldn't have one of the tasty, bubbly, beautiful glasses of champagne and had to have ice water (the things I do for my kids!). But all in all it was a good time. I have a few pictures here of me at the shower and then some Natalie took because she needed proof that this was real and not some figment of her imagination. I really do think I need to dress up more often. If for no other reason than to show my girls I can.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You look beautiful!

Liz said...

You always have been and always will be beautiful! I miss you so much! xoxo

Andie said...

You look SO pretty!