Thursday, July 26, 2007

A sentimental mess


What is wrong with me?
As I wrote last time, we finally got Natalie to give up her beloved pappy. She has been doing great! She only asked for it once last night at bedtime and then didn't mention it again. She tells everyone that the pappy fairy visited her. Since we are the only people on the face of the planet that calls a pacifier a pappy I am doing a lot of explaining to people about what exactly a pappy fairy is. It is amazing how many people used the same approach, or something very similar to it. I think I got the idea from a Supernanny episode. I love Supernanny, she is full of good ideas that have really worked for us.
Anyway, I have been a mess for the last few days. I am completely mourning my oldest daughters graduation from baby to little girl. Although I am pretty sure this transformation happened quite a while ago, I am just now really trying to accept it. And it is not easy. Right now I am sitting here watching Nat in her big girl panties doing a big girl preschool workbook on shapes. Wasn't it just yesterday she was in diapers chewing on her own feet?
Her vocabulary has always been great, but she did have a few cute ways of saying particular words. Butterfly was "beautifly", watermelon was "melon mutton", glasses were "goggies" and sunglasses were "sungoggies". Now she says all these words correctly and even gets aggravated when I slip and use the old terminology. I can't wait to see what fun words Vanessa comes up with when she begins talking. And I am already scared of when the time comes that she grows out of these babyisms. Maybe I am getting all crazy because everything Vanessa does reminds me of things Natalie did so long ago. Maybe it is because her pappies are in an envelope ready to go in her "remember box". Maybe it is because the years just go by too damn fast.
I guess there is no getting around the fact that Natalie is growing up. I honestly wouldn't want it any other way, but can't time just slow down a little?

1 comments:

Andie said...

My kdis called the refridgerator the "Fridger fridger" and instead of "gidde up horsie" it was "get me up horsie" Bethany still says "Wink" instead of "Drink" Of course they call my mom "Bobbie" which was Abbie's first version of "Barbie" which she heard my dad calling her one day, and it stuck.
Just wait till they are going off to Kindergarden and then 1st grade. Abbie will be in the 2nd grade this year...not a baby! Andrew will be in K, and Bethany even gets to join the ranks and attend preschool. My babies aren't babies anymore!!! :o(
I still don't think I can talk Warren into another...or that my body could handle another pregnancy...but Oh how time flies! Seems like only yesterday I was struggling after years of infertility. Sadder than sad that I didn't think God was going to bless us with a baby, and now He has blessed us three times! I am so ...well, blessed!
Thanks for reminding me how blessed I am on a very difficult day. My hubby has been out of town for almost a week now, and I was NOT cut out for this single parent stuff. I miss him SOOO much.
Good night my dear cousin!
Blessings to you and your little ones-
Andie