Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year...New Me! (or the same old me but with much loftier goals and aspirations)

One of my main goals for this new year was to stop procrastinating. With that being said, I didn't feel like becoming a better person yesterday so I put it off until today. I think I am off to a good start.

-------------------------------------------
2007 was a pretty good year for us. Larry turned 30. Vanessa was born healthy and happy. Natalie has done a great job adjusting to the major changes that came with the new baby and loves and accepts her sister (most of the time). We weren't ever rolling in the dough, but we survived and thrived without going into debt. We got some of our home renovations done that we have been planning for five years. We got a new car. And most importantly, I am still wearing the same size jeans I have been in for years (ok, maybe that's just important to me).

As good of a year as 2007 was, I am aiming at an even better 2008. Larry and I have both talked at length about the health and well being of our selves and our family. The talk went something like this...
"We eat too much junk."
"Yep, we do."
"And we don't exercise."
"HEY! I walked all the way to the mailbox today.....ok, you're right. We don't"
So, after that eye-opening exchange we have decided that is something we really want to work on together. We certainly don't want to find ourselves on Maury crying that we don't understand why our 4-year-old weighs 200 pounds as we are stuffing her face with oreos and Dr. Pepper.
Mmmmmm. Oreos and Dr. Pepper. Mmmmmm.
Ok, back on track here.
Other then the whole health thing I don't have any real resolutions per se. I have goals that I want to work on. Like having more patience and not "losing my shit" so often. I want to stop biting my finger nails. I want to save up some money for a nice family trip somewhere, even if it is somewhere close. I want to figure out the whole kids bedroom issue and get Natalie OUT of our bed and back IN her own. I want to cook more. You know, the usual stuff.

I find the whole New Year's Resolution craze a bit weird. I understand the want to change and I also understand that the first is as good of time as any to do it. But in my opinion we should always be changing and striving for better for ourselves. It is when we stop wanting to change that we become stagnant, and I do not want that. Just the word "stagnant" sounds gross and wrong. I will admit that in the last few years I have become what I refer to as "fat and happy". No, I didn't gain a lot of weight. I just starting thinking, "I'm married, I have kids, I have a house. What more do I need?" And I stopped caring about what I wore in public. I stopped taking the ten minutes to do my make-up. I stopped trying to make myself a better me and fell into some pretty deep ruts. Now I need to start crawling out of them. Accepting oneself and being content in ones life doesn't mean that that is all there is. There is always a way to make the good better. Does that make sense? Or am I just rambling?
---------------------------------------------------
One of the most fulfilling and helpful things that I have come across this year is this phenomenon called blogging. I love to read other people's and get a glimpse inside their brains. But I have to tell you, writing this blog has made me a happier person. I went to a lot of school to become a writer. It is what I have always wanted. Now until I do become famous as a novelist or major contributor to a magazine, I have this. My discursive release. Thank you all for reading, really. I appreciate your comments. I appreciate having someone besides myself read my words. May there be many more posts this year. Now that's a resolution I think I can keep!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow, I just posted something so simillar. We are twins!!! See you Sat.

Anonymous said...

Great that you can see the good side to life even thru the not so good times. I enjoy reading your blog keep it up. It was great that your family came to Christmas even thou not feeling really well. Hope you have a greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat 2008 love you and your familyn. marilyn

Andie said...

I'm glad we both started blogging this year...it's nitce to get to know you again! :o)
Blessings-Andie