Tuesday, January 22, 2008

A one sucker day

I need some parenting advice.
I posted the other day about Ms. Brenda's assessment of Natalie in dance class. Well, today was gymnastics (also taught by Ms. Brenda) and we got the same evaluation....when she concentrates and slows down she can do the moves wonderfully. The problem remains that she won't concentrate or slow down. Today I could see her through the window running around and distracting herself and the other three kids in the class. Then I didn't see her for awhile. Turns out Ms. Brenda was telling her to calm down and sit on the end of the mat with the others and Natalie got mad and sat in a chair and wouldn't participate. So she only got one sucker at the end of the class while everyone else got two. This didn't bother Nat in the least. She was happy with her one sucker.

All the way home Natalie kept saying she didn't want to go back because the teacher didn't like her. Translated into non-Natalie talk that means she didn't get to do exactly what she wanted when she wanted to do it. I talked about how she had to listen to the teacher because she could learn so much. And the other kids want to learn to. And running around can be dangerous, she could get hurt or hurt someone else. And didn't she want to get two suckers like Jackson and Leah and Anna? And blah blah blah. In one ear and out the other without so much as a pause.

So, my question to you is...how do I get her to focus?!?! How do you teach that? She can concentrate when she wants to, I have seen it myself. We can do projects here at home where we sit at the table for an extended period of time and she will be involved and enthusiastic the whole time. Even if I have to go deal with her sister for a while, she will still stay on track. Why can't she do it at class? I realize she is four, I realize the other kids and the different environment distract her, I realize all of this, but seriously!! The other kids mess around but at least they aren't running amok or refusing to participate. I am so scared this is setting the tone for her entire schooling career. I am afraid for her that she won't get much out of school because her mind will be somewhere else....like La La Land. I am also afraid her teachers won't like her because of her lack of focus. I have worked at a daycare and been a helper in elementary schools and you can see the difference in the productivity of kids who are easy to work with and those that are not. Teachers are not perfect creatures, they are human too, and sometimes they just don't like working with certain students. What if my kid is one that they don't like to work with? What if she suffers because of her personality?

Ok, I am having a crisis in my mind and I know it may not be as bad as I am making it out to be. But I just want the absolute best for my little girl. I love her so much and I want her life to be happy and easy. I feel like I am failing her because I don't know how to remedy this situation. I am not asking for a zombie that just sits there, or a kid so shy that she won't show her self at all (like I was for many years). I just want her to succeed. And get two suckers like everyone else.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan was the same way...worse actually for the longest time...But, like a month into the school year he's realized that his bad behavior was not amusing anyone...Nat's just 4...She'll be fine...She'll grow out of it...I think it's just one of those rebellious ages...She'll be just fine in school and in everything she does in life...Who couldn't love her...=)

*Brie*

Sarah said...

I bet it is because she isn't used to having to listen to a teacher and follow a daily plan. I don't know. I know Lacey has had problems with Kyndal when she is in a church program. And she is positive it is because she isn't use to a schedule. I wish I had better knowledge for you, but your ahead of me in kid years. ;)

keep your head up. your a great mom.

Andie said...

How does she do in her preschool setting? Does she listen and stay focused on projects or during circle time? It truly might just be the environment of dance and gymnastics. Those are active classes and it's tough to get those motors going and then try shutting them off so someone else can have a turn. Just an idea...
You are NOT failing her! You are a wonderful mom, and just by being concerned you are showing that you are more than willing to find out the problem and a solution (if there is a problem!)

Blessings my dear cousin-
Andie